Our independent study/personalized learning high school program requires students and their support person (usually a parent or guardian) to meet with their California Credentialed Supervisory Teacher once a week for approximately one hour. During this meeting, students share their coursework with their Supervisory Teacher and oral assessments are conducted on content studied during the previous week.
STUDENT ACADEMIC SUPPORT – ENRICHMENT:
- Supports: PLC Subject Lead office hours, math tutoring, and access to our Computer Lab and Study Hall staffed by instructional aides. PLC Subject Leads office hours are available for students who need additional support in Language Arts, Math, Social Science, and Science coursework. Scheduled support times are (please contact your Supervisory Teacher to schedule an appointment)
- Language Arts: Wednesdays 1:00-2:00 [email protected]
- Math: Wednesdays 1:00-2:00 [email protected]
- Science: Wednesdays 1:00-2:00 [email protected]
- Social Science: Wednesdays 1:00-2:00 [email protected]
- Student Enrichment: PVCS offers monthly student events within the community which may include Sea World, Community College tours, San Diego Job Corps Center, Youth in Court, City Hall Tour, Surf Museum, San Diego Wild Animal Park, and others.
- College and Career: PVCS schedules monthly presentations from local colleges and trade schools. Visits may include: representatives from the Departments of Nursing, Auto Technology, Child Development, Bio Technology, Design, and others. Student Ambassadors from MiraCosta College meet with students each month to assist with applications and registration. Concurrent enrollment in Community College is highly encouraged.
Planning resources, such as, the California CareerZone website, hosted by the California Career Resource Network, which offers learning style assessments and thousands of college and career resources.
Pacific View Charter School (PVCS) promotes differentiated learning and offers several curriculum solutions for students:
- Traditional textbook-based: All core courses are UC/a-g approved. The textbook-based curriculum is rigorous and aligned to the California State Standards. All curriculum materials are provided to the student. Publishers include Prentice Hall, Holt, McDougal Littel, and others.
- Online courses– All core courses are UC/a-g approved. The digital curriculum is comprised of standards-based instructional content specifically developed for online delivery, with assessments integrated throughout and scaffolding to support learning for all levels of students.
- Credit Recovery Online Courses are crafted to keep students on task and moving forward, utilizing a “chunked” methodology to increase retention, as well as pre-recorded audio, pre-teaching of vocabulary.
- University of California (UC) a-g Approved Courses – The intent of the “a-g” approval of courses is to ensure that students can participate fully in the first-year program at University of California or California State University in a wide variety of fields of study. The UC faculty considers the a-g approved courses to be effective preparation, on many levels, for undergraduate work at a California University. The majority of the traditional core courses offered at PVCS are a-g approved.